I was then able to get the type of room I wanted at the Odessa Executive Suites for Tues. One of the families we know that's adopting there recommended them. There are only 2 one bedrooms in the building so I was happy to receive the e-mail back from them saying that they had reserved one of them for me. I thought it would be nice to have a separate room for sleeping instead of getting a studio, which was only $5 less.
Yesterday I came across Karen Spring's blog, who has been working with Orphans Promise, a ministry of Christian Broadcasting Network, in Kiev since 2004. Orphan's Promise (orphanspromise.org) was started by Terry Meeuwsen, the co-host of CBN, when she adopted three sisters from Ukraine. Karen just started a Hospitality Ministry, which serves to help adoptive families who are in need of housing while in Kiev. We've e-mailed back and forth so I hope I can stay with her when I go back to Kiev.
Lastly, an American couple is staying in this small hotel. Yay...people to talk to in English! Their story is unreal. They hosted a cute little boy two summers ago (who is now 8). They have 5 biological children and this little boy is the first one that they are trying to adopt. Their very first court ruling was appealed on the last day of the waiting period. I think they said that this is their 4th trip to this small town due to all the court dates that they have had to attend. This is their last round of court sessions. Please pray that the judge in Odessa (it's had to go to the next level) would rule in their favor. I don't know if they would want me to share their names. Boy, meeting them sure puts things in perspective. What a tough road they have been on!
| John with his groupa (there are 3 girls & 1 is missing) |
| John with his best buddies |
We used Golden Rule when we traveled to Ukraine last January and they were wonderful to work with. Praying that you get to return home with John next weekend. I will also be praying for the family you met.., what a nightmare.
ReplyDeleteYea, Golden Rule :)
ReplyDeleteGolden Rule rocks!
ReplyDeleteWe're fans of Golden Rule, too!
ReplyDeleteGolden Rule is the best, I tell ya!
ReplyDelete-Lisa
John is so cute with his friends. We can't wait to meet him. Blessings on your trip back!
ReplyDelete- Maggie Welsh & Nicole Riske
Diana - catching up a bit on your blog. Praying for you during this (hopefully) final week. Take lots of pics of John and his friends and the place he spent his early life. Look forward to connecting when you return and are ready - praying for all!! Tricia
ReplyDeleteGlad you got hooked up with Karen. We stayed at her old place the last two adoptions, sleeping on the old blue sofa that is no more. Lizzie and I stayed with her on the way out this time and Lizzie was the first child through the new apartment...how fitting an end to the three year strugle to get ther home. We met her because of Karen and she left Ukraine by way of Karen. Pass along my hello to her. I had fun helping her put together her apartment while we were staying there!
ReplyDeleteFelix