Paslm 68:5-6a

"A father to the fatherless, ... is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families." Psalm 68:5-6a



Monday, February 21, 2011

Got to See John Today

Well, I got to visit with John today eventhough he's still under the weather.  We were instructed to play at at small table outside their main living area.  We sat and colored, read books and then started playing with the Zsu-Zsu pet on the floor.  The doctor walked in when we were sitting on the floor and we were immediately told to go back to the table.  Bummer!  It's hard for me to sit at a small table for an hour and a half so I know it must be that much harder for a 4 year old.  It was good because we were able to make a lot of eye contact.  From what I've read, this is important for bonding.  I also fed him his snack, which is another good way to promote attachment.  I had him sit on my lap when we read and rubbed his back.  I think he liked that.  Another thing he learned today was how to color within the lines of a coloring book.  Whenever I gave him crayons and paper in the past, he would just scribble all over it.  After watching me color in the lines, he started doing it today.  I hope that he continues to pick things up quickly.  I could tell that he wasn't his energetic self, but he still laughed and we had fun.  I didn't take any pictures today so these are from a few days ago.  

As I write today's entry, I can't stop thinking about our friend, John Nicholson, who passed away yesterday unexpectedly from complications from pneumonia.  He left his beautiful wife and two precious young boys to go be with the Lord.  He had recently e-mailed us and encouraged us while we were in Ukraine and I can't believe that he is no longer with us.  He was a great Christian man.  Please keep their family in your prayers.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry for the loss of your friend. Praying John feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana, I am truly sorry for the loss of your friend. We will pray for his family. Glad you got to see your little guy and had some good quality time together. Many blessings to you and your family at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tori chickering o'connellFebruary 22, 2011 at 6:58 AM

    Dearest Di,

    I am over the moon to hear of your news! Thank you so much for sharing this exciting time with me. I've been reading your blog and am so happy for you. This must be a surreal time.

    Nancy Mullins (from Bay Head) adopted three kids last summer, a 10 year old boy and his twin 8 year old siblings (boy and girl). Now she has 5 kids: 2 ages 10 and three ages 8!)

    It's wonderful to read about John. Keep writing and remember that your honesty is important so that others can see what the read experience is like. Don't hold back or be shy about including your emotions. It must be an emotional time.

    I'm just so thrilled for you and know that over time you two will bond and your kids will be so great with him. You all have so much love in your hearts. Keep singing to John (remember all your old Bubbles tunes!) and pointing things out to him. He sounds like a sponge, and a smart boy. Keep writing.

    Lots of Love and Warm Wishes of Strength and Patience,

    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tori,
    It's so great to hear from you, the master writer herself! At first our agency told us that we couldn't blog at all so things have to be a little sanitized until the process is over. I'm still in the 10 day waiting period before I can take him out of the orphanage.
    I hope that you and Archie are well!
    I miss getting to seeing you!!! Next time I'm in Summit visiting John, I'll give you a call.
    xoxoDi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the lost of your friend. Praying for that document to get there quickly!! I do enjoy reading and learning from other families that have adopted/or are adopting from Ukraine. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete